Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Friday, July 27, Berat and Tirana


My money troubles were not over. I got to the Western Union office early. The manager of the place and her assistant were there. They knew I was coming and welcomed me. They asked for my passport. They sat at the computer and began, I thought, to put through the paperwork that would get me that precious cash.
            Time passed. The manager and the assistant engaged in an energetic conversation in Albanian. Their body language bespoke some kind of trouble. I began to despair, again. I read every map in the outer office of the little building that housed WU. Then I read them again.
            “This name, Alan, this is your other name?” she asked me.
            “Yes, my middle name,” I plaintively responded.
            More heated conversation from the two ladies.
            “This name, Alan, it is not on the paperwork. It is only on your passport. I don’t think we can give you the money.”
            Fury and frustration warred inside me. But I kept my cool. I simply gave them a pained look.
            “Let me call Tirana,” the manager offered.
            That took ten more minutes.
            Then there was some scuffling around inside, then she called me inside again.
            “There is your money, please count it,” she said.
            I was so nervous I miscounted the first time, but she was certain she’d counted correctly and, after my second count, I was on my way. I paid my bill at the hostel and bounded down the hill towards downtown Berat and the bus station.  I quickly found a fourgon with “Tirana” in the windshield. After a bit of a wait I was on my journey back to the capital.
            I got lost in Tirana, as usual (my Lonely Planet map was safely stowed in my backpack) but this time the gods were with me. As I drifted along an unfamiliar avenue I looked to my left and there was a vaguely familiar face. It was the guy who checked me into the backpacker’s hostel last week. He recognized me. Soon we had my backpack on his bicycle and we were off to another night’s lodging.

No comments:

Post a Comment