Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Monday, July 30, Thethi Valley, Albania


            A hard day, a tiring day, a satisfying day.
River at the base of the Thethi Valley
Our group plus the Poles and a Frenchman meeting at the top of the pass separating Valbona from the Thethi Valley.
            We hiked uphill to 2,000 meters to start the day. I was very worried, after yesterday’s difficulties, that I’d not be able to accomplish this day’s hike, but I got it done without great difficulty and without any pain or discomfort. It was a wonder to me. The summit today was a pass between two mountains. We arrived at the pass to find a group of Poles with one Frenchman resting after a climb from the other side.
There were springs everywhere, very convenient for refilling water bottles.
            Next we descended the other side.  That turned out to be the most arduous part of the day. Three hours of walking steeply downhill made my knees almost rigid and unbendable. And my back seemed to acquire a permanent scoliosis. Yet we had one more bit of business, a thirty minute trek directly uphill to our guesthouse. It was during that last portion that my body really began to give out. There was no pain, just deep fatigue. That last few steps to our destination seemed immense.
            The remarkable thing was that I had none of the real pain of yesterday. It seems as if my body will allow me to finish these five days. That is a great relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment