Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Tuesday, July 31, Thethi Valley, Albania

Add caption

Tuesday, July 31, Thethi Valley, Albania
            An easier day, a leisurely day, a rainy evening.
            We left the guesthouse around 8am as usual and descended a few hundred meters to the village below. The weather was cool, the scenery was scenic; mountains to the left of us, mountains to the right of us, mountains all around us. We found the local waterfall:
            The water was too cold for me. The best I could do was to enter up to my ankles, but Francesco was more thick-skinned:                 
            Tomorrow is our last day and it will be spent driving back to Tirana.
            “Johnny”, Francesco’s dad was our most voluble and enthusiastic member despite the fact that he is 72 years old. If we met other travelers, as we repeatedly did today, it was Johnny who quickly found openings for rapid-fire, animated conversations. It helped that he spoke respectable amounts of several languages, his native Italian, Albanian, French, German, English, and Arabic. There were probably others that he didn’t get to use here.
            It is from Johnny that I learned three lessons:j
1.              Don’t give up on learning the local language. A little grasp of the tongue gives you opportunities to communicate (and thus rapidly increase your fluency with that same language). Because I spend so little time in any one nation I give up on the idea of trying to use at least some of the simplest words.
2.              Every year I ask myself if I’m too old to keep doing this traveling thing—or at least too old to do the athletic things. But Johnny showed me that you can still bound over rocks and climb steep pathways in your 70’s.
3.              I need to get back into the gym and do at least some minimal exercise every week so that I can remain active in the summers. Johnny hikes in the Italian Alps every Sunday. 
Francesco in the waterfall

It’s amazing how far away Oakland seems from here. By here I don’t only mean an isolated valley in NE Albania; I also mean five weeks into the summer. I hardly feel as if that other part of my life exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment